Monday, June 27, 2011

Derrida's last interview

I've been doing a little research on Derrida. In his later works, Derrida applies deconstruction on concepts of ethics like friendship, justice, forgiveness, hospitality. One interviewer raised a question as to whether his childhood had any impact on his writings. As a Jew, Derrida faced a lot of persecution in his elementary school years so much so that he left school. I've also started reading Robert Eaglestone interesting book on postmodernism and the holocaust where he examines the extent to which Derrida and Levinas are haunted by the holocaust. Something strikes me about Derrida as well. For all his work on deconstruction, trace, undecidability, 'slipperiness' and so on i.e. the rejection of any fixed or final transcendental signified, there is a sense that Derrida is always trying to reach for it somehow, the purity of the term, the purity of the concept. He talks about the purity of forgiveness and much of his text defines what the impurity of forgiveness is (not what it is not for that idea cannot be fixed). Yet, isn't the whole paradox the case that there is a grand narrative at work here - which is precisely in the theorizing of the inherent escapability of any transcendental narrative? Perhaps this quote sums it up:

"I am at war with myself, it’s true, you couldn’t possibly know to what extent, beyond what you can guess, and I say contradictory things that are, we might say, in real tension; they are what construct me, make me live, and will make me die. I sometimes see this war as terrifying and difficult to bear, but at the same time I know that that is life" (Derrida, Learning to live finally: The last interview, 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment